Frantisek Vlcek wrote:

> 2) question - you all told me to use dome and point it AT camera. But
> that's for faces and such things, but landscapes are flat - there is
> not light from underneath like in 3D objects like faces - so wouldn't
> it be better to use the flat diffuser or dome but parallel to the
> landscape?

You're correct that the light in a typical landscape isn't coming from
underneath the scene or from the camera position, But that doesn't mean
you shouldn't    measure the light that's coming from behind the camera.
In most photographs, the planes that are revealed to the camera comprise
the majorit of the frame. So, yes, in that case, use the incident meter
and point it at the camera. The sufaces that are facing the lens will be
properly exposed. If, on the other hand, 'you are concerned about the
exposure value orf a surface that is facing the sky, you'd want to use
your spotmeter. Consider, for example, a snowfield that reflects a
bright, sunlit sky. The light coming from the direction of the lens
might  be insiginificant in comparison to the light that is illuminating
the snowfiield from above. In that case, you'd want to measure the value
of the snow with a spotmeter, consider that you'want your exposure two
stops brighter than medium gray, and expose the film two stops more than
the spotmeter reading on the snow field.
     I understand your reluctance in dealing with the bulk of the
Spotmeter V. I own one as well. And I take it when I know I'm going to be
dealing with a difficult lighting situation. For flat, behind the cam,era
lighting of most scenes you'll do fine with the incident meter. However,
you should take the Spotmeter V  with you and satisfy your own curiosity.
I think you'll find that when shooting an evenly lighted scene, you'll be
able to point the spotmeter at a moderately reflective object ( a medium
green, light brown,, medium red, or a grey) amd get a reading identical
to that of the incident meter. However, in other situations, the
difference between a properly obtained spotmeter reading and the incident
meter reading could be several f stops.
Paul