On Thu, 27 Dec 2001 17:11:18 +0100, you wrote:

>I've used the Z-1p for six years almost every day and it never became intuitive in
>use.

I'm imagining a photographer in an open boat, gaunt from being out to
sea on a six-year cruise, 600/4 in one hand, PZ1p manual in the other,
one eye to the viewfinder and the other perusing the dog-eared manual
so as to figure out between each shot which one of two wheels sets the
shutter speed, and which one of two possible directions to turn said
wheel, even though simply turning either wheel in either direction
gives the correct answer in the viewfinder, all the while steering
clear of a rocky shore with one foot on the tiller. Very funny.

The idea that many people find the PZ1p very usable, and the
improvements of the MZ-S no real reason to buy an MZ-S instead of
continuing to use the PZ1p, is not a condemnation of the MZ-S, and
certainly no reason to bash the PZ1p with hyperbole and vitriol.

The wireless TTL flash alone is reason enough to buy an MZ-S in
addition to (or instead of) a PZ1p, if one has considerable desire for
wireless TTL flash.

I agree the MZ-S is a fine camera, much better than I would have
expected for an introductory model. I agree that Pentax would have
failed miserably if they did not make users appreciate the features of
the MZ-S. I agree than Pentax hit the market with the MZ-S design and
feature set at a time when many Pentax camera buyers appreciate just
such a design and feature set.

But I maintain there's no reason to bash the PZ1p because it's more
complicated than a Holga, or because one loves the interface of the
MZ-S. The PZ1p can stand on its own merits against any 35mm camera,
including the MZ-S.

The decision to buy a first PZ1p is a much more difficult choice with
the introduction of the MZ-S; prior to the MZ-S (and the most recent
round of camera introductions from N, C,and M), in my opinion the PZ1p
was the 35mm camera that fulfilled the widest range of shooting
situations in the lightest, most cost-effective package.

I feel sure there are some who will find the MZ-S interface as
confusing as some say they find the PZ1p interface. But such confusion
is the exception rather than the norm for either camera.

For me, I still can't figure out how I occasionally get stuck at Bulb
on my PZ-10 without any apparent user intervention, and those little
icons on my MZ-10 make it a complete mystery, and the first time I
tried setting the ASA dial on a K2 was miserable, and even finding how
to activate mirror lock-up on the LX was non-intuitive.

But I can make the PZ1p do whatever I want it to do, with no problem,
and no manual. For me, using it a short time was enough to make
setting the features, functions, and modes I use most often both easy
and intuitive.

--
John Mustarde
www.photolin.com