From: frank theriault
On Sun, Mar 29, 2009 at 10:34 PM, John Sessoms <jsessoms...@nc.rr.com> wrote:
> I've been looking for the owl I heard earlier this month, trying to get some
> idea of its habits. Yesterday, I spotted it on the nest I thought it might
> use, and came back today with my camera:
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/jb_sessoms/3396685627/
>
> K10D, Sigma 300 2.8 + Sigma APO 1.4x tele-converter, on a tripod ...
> ISO 400 (I think)
>
> The image is a bit soft. I've noticed that whenever I use the 1.4x
> converter, even though it's supposed to be matched to the lens.
>
> It just kills me. Some guy came along with a Nikon D200 & 200 mm Nikon IS
> lens and chimping what he got looked a whole lot sharper than what I got.
>
> But ... it's what I got.

Yeah, well, what can you tell from chimping?  Maybe he has in-camera
sharpening on and you don't?  I certainly keep mine off (prefer to
sharpen - if I do at all - in post-processing).

You both using the same tripods and all?

I was on a tripod, he wasn't. Looking at his shot on his screen, it looked about as good as my shot looks to me when I view it full screen.

I guess my point is that there may be lots of variables involved in
his apparent sharpness.

I'm happy with my shots. It's mostly I'm working hard to get my shots and along comes some guy who gets a shot as good with 1/10 the effort. Just kind of frustratin'

He was back the next evening with a tripod and we talked for a while.

To cap it all off, he's actually makin' a living as a wedding photographer while I'm havin' to run a mini-lab.

Oh well ... maybe I can find some cheese to go with the whine.

BTW, that's a wonderful shot you took!

Thank you.