On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 09:27:31AM +0100, mike wilson scripsit:
> ---- "P. J. Alling" <p_all...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > I know that when mounted on my D and DS the 1.7x identifies itself
> > as an A lens, yet it will auto focus, while with normal A lenses the
> > camera won't even turn on the AF motor.  So at minimum it lets the
> > camera know it is capable of auto focus even though it's an "A"
> > lens, which if you think about it is either a really neat trick or
> > exceeding simple minded, (or maybe both)..
>
> If I was Pentax, I would have a switch, worked by the screwdriver,
> that turned the AF motor on/off, depending whether the driver was in
> or out of its hole.  Maybe a halfturn anyway, to make sure that there
> was no slot to engage to.

There are some edge cases -- like Tamron adaptall 2 adapters with a
non-auto-focus lens attached to them -- that would make this a rather
unfortunate default.

The other part of it is that the camera really, really needs to know the
focal length to auto-focus accurately.

-- Graydon, who has tried to use focus confirm on the 500 while the
camera still thought it was 800.