> Additionally, the entire family moved to Germany at the end of
> January, as my husband changed from Army National Guard to Active Duty
> Army, and we live on a tiny base in the south of Germany called
> Hohenfels.  If anyone is terribly bored, here is an long albeit
> interesting article about the base and its purpose:
>
> http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/facility/hohenfels.htm

Welcome to Germany, welcome to the Oberpfalz. You're lost in the middle of
nowhere (I do come from there). Make sure to visit Regensburg - the best
photo shop I did know there is Foto Zacharias, close to the bookstore
Pustet. Very small, but rather good.

> I'm sure soon I'll be regaling everyone with photographs of all the
> amazing castles here, as well as all the adorable villages and beer
> fests.

Castles? Yes, there are plenty of them. Just plenty of them, very few very
special. But we do not mind about houses which are several hundred years old
that much.

Beer fests as well, and not only that. In some villages the house owner
still keep the right to brew (and sell) beer of their own.  There's a
village around where four houses still may do so. In one of them you just
enter their sitting room one week, until the beer is drank up. The next
house which is on duty the week after may have a real restaurant, while the
former house starts brewing again and will store it up to their term in four
weeks again.

Food is very "rich" (that means: lots of pork, potato dumplings) Don't think
that this is the same food all over Germany - but try "Schweinshaxe",
"Spanferkel" etc. Oh, and the local German dialect is more some kind of
barking, lots of "ou" within the words :-)

Enjoy the summer - autumn may be long, wet, grey in this area, while winter
probably is not cold enough for lots of snow. I once did some nice (photo)
shots in snow at one of the shooting ranges when I was on duty their.

- Martin

--
Neu: GMX FreeDSL Komplettanschluss mit DSL 6.000 Flatrate + Telefonanschluss
für nur 17,95 Euro/mtl.!*