Thanks for everyone trying to explain this to me.  I do not understand
any of the responses.  Could someone please explain this to me like I
was a child, and perhaps avoid jargon, acronyms, and the like.  I'm
really ignorant about this and I'd like to buy a scanner this year.  But
I'm afraid that, if I don't understand even the most rudimentary
information, I'll end up with the wrong scanner.  Describing bit depth
as color depth, for example, doesn't help me.  I'm having the same
problem with this as I have with understanding electricity, and all the
analogies people give me about garden hoses and water pressure don't
seem to make sense.

What is "bit depth" and, perhaps even more important, what's important
about it?

--
Shel Belinkoff
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]