Shel Belinkoff wrote:

> Thanks for everyone trying to explain this to me.  I do not understand
> any of the responses.  Could someone please explain this to me like I
> was a child, and perhaps avoid jargon, acronyms, and the like.  I'm
> really ignorant about this and I'd like to buy a scanner this year.

Shel,
You want to make photographs from film, so what you need is the best film scanner
you can afford.
I would think that the top of the line Nikon Coolscan would fulfill your needs.
You want to be able
to scan at 4000 dpi, and I'm sure the good Nikons can do that. If you're going to
do medium format as well as 35,
you'll have to spend more money. Don't buy a flatbed scanner. You won't want to
scan prints. It's pointless for
a photographer. I use an Agfa Duoscan 2500T which is a very expensive compromise
(It's a dual purpose flatbed and film
scanner that sells for about $3500.) But it belongs to the company I work for, so
I don't have a nickel in it. If I ever lose
access to that Agfa, I'll be buying th Nikon film scanner.
Paul