"J. C. O'Connell" wrote:

> 1. Are ther any reasonable priced scanners out
> there that will do up to 6X7?

The flatbeds with film adapters will do 6x7, but all the ones I have
seen suck.
I think you need to spend a couple of K to get a good 6x7 film scanner.

> 2. RE: Scanning color negatives. Do you have to change
> the color filtration with every different brand and
> type of color negative film to compensate for slightly
> different color mask characteristics?

My scanner software (Agfa Duoscan 2500T) allows you to specify the film
type, but the difference in results is small.
I sometimes adjust color curves after viewing a preview of the scan. I
fine tune the image in PhotoShop after scanning.
I generally find that the correct information is there, even if it's not
showing up on the monitor. With PhotoShop you can
ready it for presentation or printing.

> 3. If so, does the scanner sofware pkg. let you save
> different filter "packs" and call them up as needed
> for film in use and hopefully run batch processing
> on a number of scanned files?

You can save configurations on most scanner software.

> 4. Is the dust removal software any good?

No. Keep the negs clean. Then remove any dust particles with the clone
(rubber stamp) tool in PhotoShop.

> 5. Is it easier to just shoot slides to get
> color accurate scans?

Negatives yield great scans. I do shoot a lot of slide film, because
it's easy to manage and it gives you a color reference. But I think
negative film is actually easier to scan.

> 6. Is 4000dpi really needed? Most were 2800
> a couple of years ago.

4000 dpi is really needed. A 4000 ppi scan of a 35mm neg or transparency
will give you a 7 x10 print at about 550 ppi. That's about the right
number to get a truly excellent print from a high end inkjet printer. It
will produce good 11 x15s as well, but you're pushing the limits there
-- even at 4000 ppi.  At approximately 11 x 15 (full frame), a 4000 ppi
scan will give you a print of about 340 ppi. If you're scanning medium
format, you could get away with 2800 ppi scans, but for 11 x15 or
bigger, 4000 is still desirable.
Paul

> 7. VERY IMPORTANT - Are there photolabs which
> can generate large (16X20) REAL photographic enlargements
> from very high (large Mb) quality scans (digital files) on
> CD-R? Seems like it would be very nice to minipulate
> the image just the way you like it in photoshop
> as a large RAW file and then just send it to the printer
> on CD-R.

Yes, but I don't know if you lose something in the process. Once you've
perfected injet printing, you probably won't hunger for wet prints.

> If they cant make real prints, how is the quality
> of what they can do? (Laser inkjet, etc).

Inkjet prints are awesome. As good as custom lab prints. Just ask Tom.

Paul Stenquist