But it was simple enough to help me grasp the concept.  All the
technical talk just goes right over my head.  Through a simple example,
even if it's an oversimplification, I'm able to get a hold of the
general idea, which is really all I need at this point.  Your example,
while it may be more technically correct, doesn't allow me to visualize
the concept, and I need some sort of visualization to get the idea.
That's how my mind works.  But thanks for jumping in.  At some point I
may understand all the math ....

"J. C. O'Connell" wrote:

> > Density range is how much of a scale for pure white to pure black can be
> > recorded on an scale of 0=white to 4=black. Dynamic range is the
> > difference
> > between the two numbers. You could compare it to the contrast
> > grade of your
> > B$W paper.
> >

> Another falsehood. Density range (Dmax) is the ratio between the
> lightest recorded intenity and the darkest recorded intensity.
> The number is the exponent using base 10. Thus if Dmax is 1,
> the range is 10:1 , if Dmax is 2, the range is 100:1, and
> if the Dmax is 3, the range is 1000:1, and so on. The higher
> the dmax the better on a scanner as it will be able to capure
> a much wider range of shades accurately.
>
> JCO
> -

Shel Belinkoff
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]