"J. C. O'Connell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>1. Are ther any reasonable priced scanners out
>there that will do up to 6X7?

You might try to find a used Minolta Dimage Scan Multi (or Scan Multi II -
they're the same except for software). It scans 35mm at 2820dpi (good enough for
11 x 16.5 prints) but only scans medium format at 1125dpi. If you use Genuine
Fractals, though, you can make A3 size prints even from a 645 neg/transparancy.
I do this all the time and find my 645 stuff, even though it's been through GF,
looks as good as the 35mm stuff at large print sizes from my Epson 1270.

Minolta has just introduced a new version of the Scan Multi (the Scan Multi Pro)
that does 35mm at 4800dpi and medium format at 3200dpi (which will still yield
huge files). It's amazing from what I've heard but pricey at around $3000.00
(probably $2500 or so by mail order). Still, this means the prices for the older
versions are coming down. They used to be around $2300 but I've seen tham at
around $1800 lately. I bought mine used last year for $1400 and they'll probably
be going for a lot less now. The image quality is excellent and it's built like
a tank. I recommend it highly if you can find one for a good price. The problem
is that they rarely seem to show up on the used market. Can't say I plan on
selling mine any time soon.

--
Mark Roberts
www.robertstech.com