On Mon, 06 Jul 2009 19:31 -0600, "William Robb" <war...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Now, about the 4 way controller.
> Unless I've missed something, the 4 way controller is broken. By default,
> it
> provides access to the various functions, and one has to press the OK
> button
> to get it to work as an AF point selector. Unfortunately, it won't bloody
> stay as a focus point controller when set to that function. It takes
> every
> possible opportunity to revert to function control.
> Check your exposure with the instant review, when you go to take a
> picture,
> you've lost access to focus point selection. Let the camera go to sleep,
> its
> back to function select when you wake it up. Turn it off and back on, it
> is
> on function control again. I believe I had it revert a few times just
> because, and not for any reason I could fathom.
> There is a little icon in the viewfinder that lights up to tell the
> operator
> that the focus point controller is active, but I still found it to be
> really
> annoying to have to be constantly resetting the function
>
> Note to Pentax: Please put an option in the remembered settings to allow
> one
> to choose what the 4 way switch defaults to.

I might be mis-understanding the problem but I seem to recall some
discussion on this a month or so ago.  According to this post from Mark,
the 4 way controller can be set to provide access to functions or as a
focus point selector (via a custom setting?? - I don't know).

Anyway here's the relevant post:

http://pdml.net/pipermail/pdml_pdml.net/2009-May/178774.html

Cheers

Brian