William Robb wrote:

I might be mis-understanding the problem but I seem to recall some
discussion on this a month or so ago.  According to this post from Mark,
the 4 way controller can be set to provide access to functions or as a
focus point selector (via a custom setting?? - I don't know).

Anyway here's the relevant post:

http://pdml.net/pipermail/pdml_pdml.net/2009-May/178774.html

Something got changed between the cameras at GFM and the production firmware. The camera does not behave as per that post.

That K-7 with 0.something firmware I checked at Pentax Day already operated as your 1.0 camera does about the 4-way controller, hence I believe the folks at GFM just didn't realize what they had to check.
However, there will be a firmware update very soon, fixing the mess.

Dario