On 09/08/2009, Alastair Robertson <kiwibiolog...@gmail.com> wrote:
> thanks for the great info re a suitable monitor(s) for the
> workstation. Now, how about the CPU, RAM, graphics card etc?  I am
> sure that bigger, faster etc is always better but what makes a
> sensible tradeoff between features and price?

Some of the just past Intel Core 2 Duo processors seem to be the best
price point, great value really, 4GB of RAM can be had for peanuts and
will allow the PC to handle even big composite imaging tasks. Go for a
large fast drive for your OS (even if you don't use much of it) and
add a stripe set using two fast drive for scratch/temp operations. If
you're a thrill seeker and are prepared to do a little work "ghosting"
your OS to an external drive you could load up the OS on a stripe set,
it really does make a huge performance increase (with the downside of
making the system half as reliable).

Cheers,

--
Rob Studdert (Digital  Image Studio)