Wed Aug 19 10:44:33 CDT 2009
Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:

> Why be constrained by camera format?

1. I am not against other sizes/formats. I am just curious about
motivations.

2. The harmony of certain proportions has been studied for many
centuries, starting with the famous Pythagorean school.
(It doesn't mean that only "harmonic" ones should be used.
Again, see #1 above.)

> Matting with a half to full inch reveal allows a variety of formats to
> look nice inside many different proportions of mats.

I like that myself.
Many frames were with mats, in which case the sizes were of the matted area.

Igor