De-lurking to pose a question...

I've been nominated (not at my request) to take pictures at a end of
year dinner for my daughters softball team.  I did something similar
about 15 years ago with an older setup I no longer have (theft).
Since then, things have changed, yet things remain the same.

Here's my question...

Does anyone have thoughts on using a bounce card versus using a
diffuser for flash shots?  Any recommendations to look at?

I searched the PDML archives and found Christine Aguila's GESO Flash
Practice thread from January 2009 (great work!).

My equipment...
     Body: K100D
     Lenses: DA18-55 (kit) and FA50 (1.4)  I have longer, but won't be
using those
     Flash:  Vivitar 285HV

I can squeak something new into the camera bag under the guise of
needing it for this event.  I don't know the layout of the venue, so
I'm not sure what I can get from a bounce off the ceiling.  The
Vivitar doesn't swivel, but does have vertical bounce.

--
Thanks!
Ed