You're right, Christine. The Fong Lightsphere will be marginal with the 360. It sacrifices a couple of stops and requires plenty of power.
Paul
On Sep 17, 2009, at 9:40 PM, Christine Aguila wrote:

Hi Ed: Looks like you got some good advice from Ecki, Paul & John, so I can't really add much. As Ecki said, try to "sneak a peek" at the event venue, and see if you can ask about lights. Don't forget to check the color of the ceiling if it's a good height to bounce flash light. The shots on the thread you mentioned below were taken at a place where the ceilings were painted white and of good bounce- height, say 8ish, 9ish feet high.

I have the Fong Diffuser (cloudy), and I find it frustrating to use, though I have the Pentax Flash 360, which is not as strong as Paul Stenquist's 540, so maybe therein lies the problem. Also, I have to chimp like crazy when using flash because of my flash poor skills, and I'm constantly plus or minusing flash compensation.

I know I'm not much help here, but I did want to share this: for the geso mentioned below, I had the camera set to manual mode and at f4 and shutter speed say 1/30 - 1/60th of a second. Using these setting freed me to focus more on my flash settings and that was helpful. The learning point of that exercise was to try and blend flash with existing light.

You probably already know this, and someone has probably already mentioned it, but I'll just say, I recommend shooting like crazy with your flash from now until the event. :-)

Sorry I couldn't be more help--good luck with the shoot, and post some pics if you can. Would like to hear how things went.
Cheers, Christine

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ed Keeney" <ewkph...@gmail.com>
To: "Pentax-Discuss Mail List" <pdml@pdml.net>
Sent: Thursday, September 17, 2009 1:32 PM
Subject: Flash Question -- Bounce v. Diffuser

De-lurking to pose a question...

I've been nominated (not at my request) to take pictures at a end of
year dinner for my daughters softball team.  I did something similar
about 15 years ago with an older setup I no longer have (theft).
Since then, things have changed, yet things remain the same.

Here's my question...

Does anyone have thoughts on using a bounce card versus using a
diffuser for flash shots?  Any recommendations to look at?

I searched the PDML archives and found Christine Aguila's GESO Flash
Practice thread from January 2009 (great work!).

My equipment...
   Body: K100D
   Lenses: DA18-55 (kit) and FA50 (1.4)  I have longer, but won't be
using those
   Flash:  Vivitar 285HV

I can squeak something new into the camera bag under the guise of
needing it for this event.  I don't know the layout of the venue, so
I'm not sure what I can get from a bounce off the ceiling.  The
Vivitar doesn't swivel, but does have vertical bounce.

--
Thanks!
Ed