Don't forget the recycle time issue.  With more power used, the
recycle times increase - so you have to be aware of how much time
between shots you have.  The Fong unit does take quite a bit more
power than a bouncer, so your between shot time increases quite a bit.

When I don't know what the ceilings will be like I take a Lumiquest
Ultra-Soft and a Lumiquest Big Bouncer.  One of the two will work
even if there are no ceilings at all.

Remember that everything is a trade off.

--
Best regards,
Bruce

ps> You're right, Christine. The Fong Lightsphere will be marginal with
ps> the 360. It sacrifices a couple of stops and requires plenty of power.
ps> Paul
ps> On Sep 17, 2009, at 9:40 PM, Christine Aguila wrote:

>> Hi Ed:  Looks like you got some good advice from Ecki, Paul & John,
>> so I can't really add much.  As Ecki said, try to "sneak a peek" at
>> the event venue, and see if you can ask about lights.  Don't forget
>> to check the color of the ceiling if it's a good height to bounce
>> flash light.  The shots on the thread you mentioned below were taken
>> at a place where the ceilings were painted white and of good bounce-
>> height, say 8ish, 9ish feet high.
>>
>> I have the Fong Diffuser (cloudy), and I find it frustrating to use,
>> though I have the Pentax Flash 360, which is not as strong as Paul
>> Stenquist's 540, so maybe therein lies the problem.  Also, I have to
>> chimp like crazy when using flash because of my flash poor skills,
>> and I'm constantly plus or minusing flash compensation.
>>
>> I know I'm not much help here, but I did want to share this:  for
>> the geso mentioned below, I had the camera set to manual mode and at
>> f4 and shutter speed say 1/30 - 1/60th of a second.  Using these
>> setting freed me to focus more on my flash settings and that was
>> helpful.  The learning point of that exercise was to try and blend
>> flash with existing light.
>>
>> You probably already know this, and someone has probably already
>> mentioned it, but I'll just say, I recommend shooting like crazy
>> with your flash from now until the event. :-)
>>
>> Sorry I couldn't be more help--good luck with the shoot, and post
>> some pics if you can.  Would like to hear how things went.
>> Cheers, Christine
>>

>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Ed Keeney" <ewkph...@gmail.com>

>>> Ed
>>> http://picasaweb.google.com/ewkphoto/PESO?feat=directlink
>>>
>>> --
>>> PDML Pentax-Discuss Mail List
>>> PDML@pdml.net
>>> and follow the directions.
>>

>> --
>> PDML Pentax-Discuss Mail List
>> PDML@pdml.net
>> and follow the directions.

ps> --
ps> PDML Pentax-Discuss Mail List
ps> PDML@pdml.net
ps> to UNSUBSCRIBE from the PDML, please visit the link directly above and
follow the directions.