----- Original Message -----
From: "J. C. O'Connell"
Subject: RE: Face reflectivity of different ethnics

> I think its much easier to just use an incidence meter
> right in front of the subject's face and use THAT reading.
> then the face will fall on the correct zone automatically.
> JCO

This gets into one of those situational challenges where the
technically correct exposure may well not be the esthetically
correct exposure. A very dark skin tone may well fall as low as
Zone II. At this level of exposure, the film is not giving a
usable amount of detail.
While always a judgement call, I would hesitate to place a skin
tone as low as Zone II or III, whether it is the technically
correct place for it or not.
Print films all have sufficient latitude to allow for some over
exposure.
If you set the very dark skin tone to Zone IV or even as high as
Zone V, you will be securing sufficient detail to get a richly
detailed dark skin tone by printing the negative down to the
correct flesh tone.
This is much more appealing than having  undetailed soot with a
smile where a face should be.
William Robb