Don't worry, I don't believe you will have offended anybody (unless
they're very sensitive)!

My hypothesis as to why (spot) metering of darker faces doesn't work is
as follows.  The lightmeter assumes 18% gray reflectance.  However, in
this case, the reflectance will be much lower.  In an attempt to turn
the image into an 18% gray image, the lightmeter will overexpose.
Therefore you need to underexpose by maybe a stop or two, but I'm
guessing. The opposite is true if you try photographing something
really white eg snow or possibly sand at midday. (I hope I've got this
the right way round...)

If anyone has a definitive answer, I too would be interested to know as
I'm about to go travelling around Mali.

Cheers,
Henry