Hi,

Frantisek wrote:

> **: BTW, I have never had good luck with spotmetering faces of dark to
> black skinned people - what is the best zone to put the spot reading
> on?

I hesitate to get involved in this thread, but I wrote this reply
before the thread sort of spiralled down a little, so I'd like to send
it because it has some value and I have photographed an awful lot of
black people.

I've never had a problem with this, even with full-face portraits of
very dark-skinned people. In general it's best, imo, to use incident
metering, which is very accurate and is not affected either by subject
reflectivity or by colour temperature, which I believe can affect
spot-metered subjects. If you can't use incident metering then I'd
recommend substitution metering, ie measure something that's close
enough to 18% and in the same light as your subject.

It can happen that the person's face is so dark that you can't pick
out much detail. This tends to happen when you're shooting in bright
sunlight and the scene is very contrasty. If your film can't handle
the contrast range then you have to make a sacrifice - highlights or
shadow detail. But this is not a metering problem, it's a film
latitude problem. Solutions include using a film with wider latitude,
and shooting in less contrasty conditions either by moving your
subject into the shade, or adding some fill light with a flash
(deprecated <g>) or a reflector.

I've found the best conditions for photographing in Africa to be at
the beginning and end of the day when the shadows are long, or during
slightly overcast periods. The low sun, while still having high
contrast, gives a brightness range within the capabilities of
Kodachrome 64 and the colour of the light makes people's skin look
really beautiful, imo.

---

Bob