Shel wrote:
SB> nor did I say that I "shun" meters.  Rather, for much of the photography
SB> that I do, I tend to meter the general scene, and then put the meter
SB> away.  If the light remains the same, there's no need to continually

I often do the same, especially in concert photography (unless really
changing lights), where I spotmeter the faces, put them on Zone 6 **
and shoot away, remembering the meter output for the few (2-3) light levels the person
at
the lighting pult usually uses, changing between them for my exposures
by eye. It works quite well usually.

**: BTW, I have never had good luck with spotmetering faces of dark to
black skinned people - what is the best zone to put the spot reading
on? Especially with people of middle African origin - dark but not
completely darkskinned, and of course people of completely black skin
colour - what is the proper zone to put a spot reading of their face on?)

//Please - nothing rascist in this question - English is
not my primary language so I really don't know what is no longer
considered correct or polite in some matters, as it can change faster
than I can update my knowledge//

Good light,
     Frantisek