From: Tom C
FWIW, when vinyl was in it's heyday, considering the quality of
playback equipment most commonly used by the largest % of the record
market, I wonder whether the LP's themselves were made to the high
quality audio specifications, that eliteists believe they are hearing.
 I can hear a diffference between same vinyl and CD recordings, but
how good is the vinyl, really?

Depends on the original analog mix; quality of the original vinyl - ratio of virgin vinyl to recycled vinyl; thickness of the pressing; quality of the lacquer cutting; quality of the master disc; quality of the "mother" discs; quality of the stamping molds; where it comes in the press run ... how the LP has been handled since it left the factory floor.

Mass market vinyl from the 60s and 70s ain't often that great. They made CHEAP, thin records, cut a lot of corners in manufacturing, and quality control was often poor. New audiophile LPs use higher quality materials, more of them and cut fewer corners in production.

The same factors apply to CDs.

Audiophile CDs have much better sound quality than the ones you find in the discount bin at WalMart; especially some of the early CD issues of 60s & 70s LPs that were digitized straight from the old LP "master" tapes without any kind of re-mixing, re-mastering ... that's why there are re-issues (one reason anyway).

Another thing is the recording process is stood somewhat on its head from what it was in the golden age of vinyl. Where before everything was recorded onto analog tape and then digitized along the way to making an LP into a CD, now-a-days almost everything is recorded digitally from the get-go and has to be converted to analog somewhere along the way to making a new vinyl LP.

What I'm saying is really good quality vinyl and really good quality digital sources both sound *REALLY GOOD*.

It can also be REALLY expensive relative to what's good enough for most purposes.

It boils down to everyone has to determine their own cost benefit ratio regarding their chosen audio reproduction system. I have what I consider a good quality legacy audio system with a better than average turntable, good speakers and a set of audiophile head-phones ... plus tape decks and CD players.

When I use my legacy system, I play CDs or home recorded cassettes. I'm not a connoisseur of the audio listening experience. For me it's a soundtrack.

I can't remember the last time I actually listened to my vinyl LPs because they don't fit in with the way I want to listen to music, although I do still have those vinyl LPs; even some of my old 45s. I keep 'em around in case the CDRs ever wear out. I can go back and rip 'em again if I need to.

I have listened to audiophile vinyl on audiophile component systems, including the multi-thousand dollar turntables.

But, if/when I have multi-thousands of dollars to spend, I wouldn't spend it on stereo equipment. Maybe a new camera body, a lens or two and I'd put a lot of miles into my next "photo-safari". There's 50 states out there; 49 of 'em I intend to see either at least once or at least once more ... and then there's the Orient, Europe, Australia, Africa ... are all calling my name.

Ain't no audiophile stereo listening experience good enough to drown that out, and it wouldn't fit into a carry-on anyway.

So ...

Usual terms and conditions apply.
Feed face down, nine edge first.
It had a good beat, was easy to dance to - so I'll give it about a 63.
Closed course with professional driver.
Void where prohibited, licensed or taxed.
Do not bend, fold, spindle or mutilate.
Your mileage MAY vary!
Consult your owners manual for additional details.
Don't try this at home kids.