On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 1:57 PM, J.C. O'Connell <hifis...@gate.net> wrote:
> dream on, while there are very large number of NEW MUSiC titles
> in hip hop and dance, this is not the same as overall new LPs mfg and
> sold in all genres and including reissues. Dance/hip hop titles are
> popular
> on vinyl for DJS, the average dance/hip fan doesn't use LP or
> even CD either, they are on the free MP3 train with nearly everybody
> else. You are completely wrong about what the LP market is today,
> its for audiophiles and high end gear, there is no point
> in even using vinyl unless you get better sound or are a DJ
> but Id bet music loving audiophiles with LP rigs outnumbers
> DJs by 100 to 1.
>
> --
> J.C. O'Connell (mailto:hifis...@gate.net)

Well, apart from the fact that there's a zillion kids who want to be
DJ's who snap up that stuff. DJ'ing is the electronica and dance
equivalent of being in garage band and having a turntable and some
vinyl is as necessary to that as a guitar and amp are to a wannabe
rockstar. Lots of low-level involvement, lots of sales, mostly from
music stores for the hardware (rather than stores which sell Home
Theater and Audio stuff which caters to the market you're familiar
with). You won't see the sales because the people in question don't
buy from the same sources you do. They buy their turntables online or
from the local music store and their vinyl comes from specialty shops
which cater to the hip-hop/electronica/dance market rather than
specialty shops which cater to the audiophile market. And in any major
city the former outnumber the latter by a fair margin.

Also Vinyl is VERY popular with the dance and electronica markets. You
essentially can't be a serious electronica fan and not have an LP
setup. Dance is more CD-oriented than electronica but still has a
major LP focus for serious fans.

Note that the electronica, hip-hop and dance market is large enough
that if even a fraction of CD sales of each album occur in vinyl it
will have significantly larger aggregate sales than the (tiny)
audiophile market. And that's the largest portion of the music market
today (Dance, hip-hop and electronica are the largest music markets
globally).

Music loving audiophiles are not a large market and they don't tend to
buy as much volume. Teenagers who want to be famous are a large market
and one who tends to buy a lot of volume.

I'll note here that I spend a fairly large amount of time around 18-21
year olds (Being a university student myself, albeit a fair bit
older). Most of the ones I know who are into the dance or electronica
scene have an LP setup and collection. Many are avid collectors of
LP's. Hip-hop fans are less likely to have that sort of setup unless
they are aspiring DJ's, mostly because there's less of a 'exclusive
release' market for Hip-Hop LP's  as compared to electronica/dance
where exclusive LP editions are common for major releases.
--
M. Adam Maas
http://www.mawz.ca