New vinyl releases today are primarily a high cost, $15-$30, high
sound quaity, audiophile reissue market from all the indications
I have, catalogs, online stores, record reviews, what my
friends and assocites buy new on occasion, etc. Dance music in general
is a very small genre and generally not "audiophile" in
nature compared to rock, jazz, and classical so its highly unlikely
to be the bulk of newly pressed records being sold today.

Even if six out of the "top ten" vinyl sellers were new 2008 music
releases,
I don't see those as mostly dance, and would not necessisarily
mean that that 2008 music dominated  or even is a significant percentage
of all
newly mfgr vinyl sales, there are lots and lots of legacy titles
being reissued now/recently on vinyl LP, far more than new 2008 title
release on vinyl, the sum of which is probably far more
than all six of those top 10 sellers combined.

I would also suggest, that with the collapse of music sales
due to internet theft, the relatively expensive nature of
buying a new mfd LP compared to a CD or MP3 digital version is going
to skew new LP sales even further towards the audiophile
reissue market in years to come as that's the sole reason
left to buy any LPs, better possible sound than CD or mp3.
I just don't see the dance/DJ market as being significant in any way
compared to the audiophile market, now or in the future.
--
J.C. O'Connell (mailto:hifis...@gate.net)
Join the CD PLAYER & DISC Discussions :