Buzz Killer!

On Dec 16, 2009, at 17:04 , Bob W wrote:

I'm a very sensitive person and 1st noticed plant auras some time ago.
Recently, plants have begun to talk to me.
They are very sad about the murder of their fellow plants.
So I'm gonna start a new group to stop the wanton destruction
and consumption of plants.
Come on folks, we've got to stop abusing the plants!
Regards, Bob S.
(I can't stand to drive thru the corn fields of Iowa as
harvest time nears.
The despair from the plants is overwhelming.  Very sad indeed.)

That's really pathetic, Bob. It's the sort of response one would expect from
a child.

I'm really surprised at the way some people have reacted to the picture that Frank posted. A couple of well-meaning people demonstrating against the fur trade. No evidence that they were wearing leather, or members of PETA, or even vegetarians, yet the picture seems to have stimulated a lot of vitriol
in some people.

I wear leather and I eat meat, I'm not a member of any animal rights
organisation, I've never dumped a dead dog in a skip, and I've never wanted a pet, but I'm opposed to cruelty to animals and (with some exceptions) to the fur trade. There's nothing hypocritical about that - meat is a natural
part of the human diet.

Now that we have domesticated ourselves and developed a sophisticated
awareness of other animals and their needs, it's perfectly possible to raise animals for meat in ways where they can express their natural behaviour and live fulfilling lives up to the point where we kill them, humanely. This includes hunting game for food (game may well be the most ethical form of meat). It also makes sense economically and ethically to make use of all the
by-products, such as leather.

The differences between that and most of the fur trade are that fur is not
usually a by-product, wearing it is mostly about vanity rather than
essentials such as food, and much of it involves cruelty on a truly
spectacular scale.

This is not a difficult distinction to understand and I'm sure most of the people who've made juvenile comments and worn-out old jokes understand it, so I don't understand why they feel threatened whenever they see someone protesting against cruelty. It's not as if an admission that cruelty exists is somehow going to turn you into soya-eating liberals all of a sudden - you'll still be allowed to wear your cowboy boots and eat meat. As long it's
organically reared.

Bob

Joseph McAllister
pentax...@mac.com

"Gaudeamus igitur, juvenes dum sumus..."
http://tinyurl.com/ndmfhb