> A few years ago author Michael Pollan ("The Omnivore's
> Dilemma") wrote this piece about the life of beef cattle for
> the New York Times.  I believe it may have ended up a chapter
> in the above book.  The article is not for the squeamish:
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/2002/03/31/magazine/power-steer.html?pa
> gewanted=1
>
> BTW, Pollan is an omnivore, but only eats grass-fed beef and
> actually goes to the farms to make certain the cattle is
> humanely treated.

He has also written a very good book called "In Defence of Food". I have a
copy and it is extremely interesting. Mainly geared towards the US rather
than Europe, but the basics of his message are relevant for us too. He looks
at the whole chain from the soil to the plate, what goes into it and onto
it, and what eventually ends up in our stomachs.

In short, he explains why we should not eat anything our great grandmothers
wouldn't recognise as food, and why we need to look after the soil, the
plants we eat, the plants our animals eat and the animals we eat - that is,
without all the cruelty and the rubbish foisted onto us by the
agri-businesses, the food processing industry, the chemical industry and the
big retailers, who do all this shit for their own benefit, not for ours.

Bob