From: pdml-boun...@pdml.net [mailto:pdml-boun...@pdml.net] On Behalf Of
Adam Maas
Sent: Wednesday, January 06, 2010 7:21 PM
To: Pentax-Discuss Mail List
Subject: Re: Wide angle for K-X?

On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 3:47 PM, J.C. O'Connell <hifis...@gate.net>
wrote:
> right on the 35, but the 28 is wider than most
> anything called normal in the old days, I recall
> when 55mm on 35mm film was "normal".  Regardless,
> the K24/3.5 is pretty damn good too, which I forgot
> to mention...
>
> --
> J.C. O'Connell (mailto:hifis...@gate.net)

28mm is a 42mm-e on APS-C, pretty much exactly the same as Pentax's 43mm
'true normal' and right on the 40-45mm normal range that was typical for
fixed-lens RF's and P&S's back in the day as well as being moderately
common in SLR's from the mid-70's on. A 35 is a long normal on APS-C.

55mm as a normal was only ever an abberation of 60's SLR designs, as it
was a bit easier to design for a SLR mount than 50mm that had been the
the 'normal' for 35mm since the original Leica was introduced in the
late 1920's. Many systems never even had a 55 normal or only had exotic
55's (usually an f1.2 or a macro). 55's as the standard on SLR's only
lasted about 15 years from the early 60's to the late 70's, which was
also when 40's and 45's became increasingly common as normals from
Leica, Minolta, Nikon, Zeiss (Contax) Olympus and Pentax. Canon, Olympus
and Nikon only did exotic 55's.

35mm has traditionally had a longer normal than other formats, due to
Oskar Barnack's taste in lenses.

--
M. Adam Maas
http://www.mawz.ca