David Savage wrote:
I agree, but it's the DOF control offered by the fast stuff that gives
creative possibilities.

For wide angles which are the topic here?

I'm more concerned by the max. opening which does provide good quality. I do prefer a f/2.8 which becomes excellent at f/4.0 to a brighter f/1.8 which sucks up to f/5.6.

So I'm more interested in image quality for wide angles than for max. opening. The more tele it becomes, the more I do prefer the opposit tendency and do accept slight quality decrease at max. opening.

- Martin