On Jan 8, 2010, at 7:56 AM, Leon Altoff wrote:

> I find I like to work the same way I used to with a selection of
> slides on a light box.  I view the small thumbnails, click to view
> full screen (viewing with loupe) then another key stroke to view 100%
> if I want more details (stronger loupe).  Breeze Browser has a better
> interface than Adobe Bridge, but lacks the magnify tool in the version
> I have.  I like Bridge best in filmstrip mode.  The end result is to
> find something that works for you.  Everyone is different.
>
> I have 3 presets set up in camera raw for the initial correction of
> the image and have found that beyond that I want control of the fine
> detail - you do get used to what to tweek to get the desired result
> with practice.  If you only use presets then you end up with your
> images not as good as they could be or you spend forever trying
> different presets to see which is best.  They make a good way to get
> to a starting point.
>
> In Photoshop I work with my right hand on either a mouse or small
> tablet (I spent all my money on Photoshop and can't afford a bigger
> tablet) and left hand on the keyboard for macros and keyboard
> shortcuts.  My macros are mainly things like functions on a single key
> (such as crop, 8 bit, flatten layers) or resizing for web use,
> thumbnails, A5, A4, A3 etc.
>
> My workflow goes something like this (some people will probably
> disagree with it and writing it out helps me understand what I do).
> Select image in Bridge or Breeze Browser.
> Adjust colour, exposure and initial sharpness in Camera Raw.
> Adjust composition ("M" for the marque tool, select the area with the
> mouse, F3 to crop)
> Remove dust or blemishes with the spot tool ("S", Alt click to select
> the copy area and mouse or tablet to do the work - I have my mouse pad
> on top of the tablet so I just move it to the side and pick up the
> pen).
> Any other fancy stuff like additional images, text or distortions.
> Resize the image (F9 - F12 with or without the control Key depending
> on the size I need)
> Save as PSD file if necessary
> Flatten the image (F7)
> Convert to 8 bit (F8)
> Save as jpg file.
> Back to Bridge/Breeze Browser for the next image.
>
> I've tried suggestions from others to improve my workflow and have
> found some work for me and some don't, so even if something someone
> suggests sounds great it doesn't necessarily mean that it will be good
> when you actually try it.
>
> Leon

That's pretty much how I work. I use Bridge exclusively, but have it set to
provide three images across, and I just scroll down to view others. That way I
don't have to enlarge them unless they're good candidates. I do everything else
about the same as you. I agree that relying on presets alone is inadequate in
terms of optimizing every image. One other difference: I save as Tifffs rather
than jpegs. I figure after all that work why degrade the image with
compression. Storage is cheap these days.
Paul