I find that the 28-200mm is really quite good, on the *ist-D, it's short throw focusing does make the most of Pentax autofocus motors, though I seldom use autofocus, and it's even pretty good on the K20D if you stop down a bit... It's also surprisingly flair free for a complex zoom lens.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1604247/PESO/PESO%20--%20thebirds.html