I see the point you're making.  I think you're friend though, may be
misinformed.  Take a look at these two links:

http://www-fars.nhtsa.dot.gov/Main/index.aspx

http://www.census.gov/compendia/statab/cats/transportation/motor_vehicle_accidents_and_fatalities.html
 (look at first .xls)

The last referenced link indicates that over the last 30 or so years,
collisions dropped by about 40% and fatalities dropped by about half,
depending on which statistic is being considered.

Even if the number of accidents stayed constant, it would statiscially
be at a lower rate because there are more vehicles and drivers with
each passing year.

This was US data, I can't speak for Canadians. ;-)

I love/hate antilock brakes. I like that it prevents me from going
into an uncontrolled skid, but then again when I'm using studded tires
going down a steep icy road with 50 - 300 ft. drop offs, when I tell
the car to stop, I want it to STOP, and with antilock brakes it slows
but keeps going.

I understand what your saying, there's always the subset of the
population that acts invincible behind the wheel because they have 4WD
or AWD, but statistically the safety features may/seem to prevent
accidents/save lives.  Of course there are other factors that go into
the statistics besides just car safety features.  Drunk driving
penalties and enforcement is up, etc.

Tom