> The evidence at
> http://www.suomenluonto.fi/bbcs-nature-photo-competition-judge
> -admits-winner-photo-investigated-due-to-fraud-allegations
> seems pretty convincing that the location of the shot was the
> CaƱada Real Center zoological park near Madrid. The stone
> wall could easily have been modified but I can't see anywhere
> else having those unique trees in the background.

[...]

As far as the wolf photo is concerned, since photos of captive animals are
allowed in the competition he could have won a prize anyway if he'd been
open about it. It really is a shame that he wasn't.

> I've seen previous years' incarnations of this contest in
> London and there have always been some amazing shots. I've
> also always wondered if the judges weren't quite skeptical
> enough when accepting entries.
> The time I went I found the children's winners included a
> suprising number of 6-year-olds shooting with a Nikon F5 and
> 600mm f/4.0.

What is surprising about that? The children borrow their parents' equipment
to shoot stuff in their back garden, their local park or even on safari in
Africa.

I've been to every one of these exhibitions for the last 15 years or so and
I'm always impressed by the standard of all the photography, but in the most
cases it's very obvious that the childrens' photos are indeed by children -
they haven't just clicked the shutter on a parent's set-up.

Obviously they wouldn't be wandering around the Okavango swamps with a 600/4
on their own, so their parents get some credit, but I for one certainly
believe the kids' photos are their own.

Bob