From: frank theriault
On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 4:40 PM, Ken Waller <kwal...@peoplepc.com> wrote:

> I agree but it is THEIR contest.

Honestly?

I don't think it's that great a photo even if it's not staged.  Yeah,
I guess catching a wild wolf doing that at night would be pretty
amazing, but that isn't enough to make it a good photo.

It's not at all dynamic, the wolf is frozen in air, I mean hell, it
looks like it could be a stuffed animal!

I could see why they think it's staged - whether that's enough to ban
it, I don't know.

Sounds like these guys are a bunch of wankers to me.  First the pick a
lousy pic for their winner, then they ban it on not much evidence.

This doesn't look good on anybody involved.

You know, the problem I have with it isn't that they decided it was staged; it's that they didn't decide that until AFTER they had already awarded it the first prize.

Every reason cited for rejecting it after the fact should have been apparent before it won.

Ok, so he (maybe) didn't follow the contest rules; it sure looks like that from the image ... but how stupid do the judges have to be to not notice that BEFORE choosing the guy as Wildlife Photographer of the Year?