Christine Aguila wrote:

From: "Tom C" <caka...@gmail.com>

Heading to Assateague Island National Seashore.  Peradventure I see
any wild horses, I hope to get some photos.
http://www.nps.gov/asis/index.htm

That looks fun. The only wild horses I've seen were in Nevada near a water pump that a cousin of mine was trying to fix. The two of us were hunched over the water pump, and sure'enough, shadows slid up behind us. We turned around real slow and found ourselves eyeball to eyeball with some of sorriest looking horses I've ever seen--rib-bone thin, ratty, and legs all cut up. It's a tough life in the Nevada wild. I had the MX with me on that trip; I'll dig out those negs.

Assateague Island horses look a lot prettier--course they probably prettied themselves up for web site picture day :-).

Hope you have a good outing, Tom.

Cheers, Christine

As I just mentioned in response to Tom, the Island equines are ponies.... not horses... and are panhandlers.. very cheeky , not shy - The wild horses I saw out west were as you described -- very sad... saw them in the big horn mountains
of Wyoming...

I'll be interested to see what Tom thinks... I'm an ardent horse lover and was disappointed with Assatigue as I recall... makes me want to dig though my journal and film stuff.
ann