From: Adam Maas
On Sat, Jan 23, 2010 at 10:39 AM, frank theriault
<knarftheria...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 23, 2010 at 10:36 AM, Adam Maas <a...@mawz.ca> wrote:
>
>> Proroguing government is the best idea Harper's had in a long time.
>> MP's who aren't in Parliament aren't creating problems. I'm convinced
>> that the one thing Texas got truly right was the part time
>> legislature. You can't pass stupid laws if Parliament isn't sitting,
>> and the longer it's sitting the more likely that the MP's will decide
>> to Do Something, usually something stupid, to make themselves feel
>> useful.
>>
>> I really wish that MP's and MPP's had to spend at least as much time
>> doing real work as they do sitting in the legislature. If only so I
>> could see them doing road work in the middle of the summer.
>
> Sure - why bother to ever have them sit? ?Let's just permanently
> suspend parliament so those pesky MPs never have to bother us with
> their stupid laws again.
>
> cheers,
> frank
>
> ps: ?you ~were~ being tongue-in-cheek, right Adam?

No, I wasn't being tongue-in-cheek, although I was being a little
snarky. I do think Parliament spends far too much time sitting. They
obviously do need to sit for some portion of the year, to deal with
significant issues and pass things like budgets, but at the same time
they spend far too much time on absolutely pointless BS just to give
them something to actually do. I'd greatly prefer moving to a
part-time legislature. Then again I agree with Lazarus Long,
government should strive to do the least evil possible, not the
greatest good possible.

I don't remember if it was Mark Twain or Will Rogers who said, "Other than Congress, the United States has no native criminal class."

Probably applies equally well to your Parliament.