John Sessoms wrote:
From: "John Mullan"
Depending on your video card, a portion of your RAM may be allocated to graphics processor use, and thus subtracted from the available RAM numbers.

I thought of that, but according to the specs for the laptop, I don't think that's it.

It looks like 32-bit Vista will only "see" up to 3GB of RAM installed.