On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 5:30 PM, John Sessoms <jsessoms...@nc.rr.com> wrote:
> From: Adam Maas
>
> Which brings me to my major complaint about Vista.
>
> I really liked how XP was organized; how things looked when I opened
> folders, where things were, how you got to them, how the search tool
> functioned ... really a bunch of minor details that pretty much get lumped
> together under "look and feel".

Vista mostly improved things for me here, Explorer went from 'At least
it doesn't suck as much as Finder' to pretty good. The search tool
mostly works the same and things can be setup to work the same.

> I was comfortable with XP. It may have sucked, but it worked better (for me)
> than 95, 98, NT4, ME, 2000, SE ...
>
> Vista changed EVERYTHING.

Hmm, overall Vista changed very little for me. I like the new Start
Menu better since I don't end up diggiing through a screen full of
cascading menus, I set Control Panel back to the Win2k style, the
navigable folder heriarchy in Explorer's address bar is a huge
improvement while still working like the old style if you want it to.
And the candy-coated version of the UI no longer looks like it was
designed for toddlers. I don't use most of the 'improvements' that
were added aside from the navigation features in Explorer and the new
start menu.

Windows 7 on the other hand breaks the Task bar rather badly,
inflicting a bad Dock clone in place of a system that worked better
than the Dock IMHO (The Dock is my least favourite aspect of OS X,
since Finder is easily replaced). Giant pinned icons drive me nuts.

> Nothing was where I expected it to be; it wasn't organized the way I had
> learned to operate. And I *STILL* despise Vista's search function. I don't
> want to use an internet browser to find where I put certain files on my
> hard-drive. It may function better than XP, but it aggravates the crap out
> of me sometimes.
>
> Still, I'm finally becoming inured to Vista.
>
> Am I setting myself up to go through that same shit all over again?

Vista's search system can be turned off (The Indexing Service is the
core), I did so immediately on every Vista machine I've had (currently
have 2 of 4 total, 1 other moved on, one got turned into a linux
server). I just don't like Search that much, same reason why Lighroom
leaves me cold, I know where stuff is and my directory heirarchies are
logical.

Win7 is a lot less like XP than Vista is, and it's harder to turn back
the clock.

--
M. Adam Maas
http://www.mawz.ca