From: "P. J. Alling"
The fact that you can't see the additional memory could be a Bios
limitation, not an OS limitation. On 1/20/2010 3:12 PM, John Sessoms wrote:

Took my laptop in this morning and had 4GB RAM installed (up from
2GB).

Turns out Windows Vista Ultimate is only 32bit and limits the
amount of RAM it can use to supposedly 3.5GB - System Information
is showing 3,069.44MB which I make to be 2.99GB.

Don't know why it doesn't show the whole 3.5GB.

No, it's Windows. I think the guy at the store who told me 32bit Vista would see 3.5GB got it wrong; apparently 3GB is correct.

It certainly saw the increase from the 2GB originally installed. The Windows 7 Adviser tool shows the machine is 64-bit capable, and Toshiba does not have any outstanding BIOS updates for this model.

I've done a complete systems backup; installed all the patches and service updates and have run into only one problem.

I turned the touchpad (that little glide thingy) OFF and can't remember how to turn it back on. For some reason, the updated driver won't install with it turned off.

Anyway, I've decided to replace the boot drive with a new 500GB 7200 RPM SATA drive and do a clean install of Windows 7 64-bit on it. I'll replace the second hard drive as well, but not right now. I'm thinking a 1TB notebook drive might be affordable by the time I'm ready to replace the second drive.

I'm still studying on the software transfer/migration tools, but I might just do clean installs of the programs I really use. These things come with a lot of crap installed, and a lot of it I was afraid to remove because I was afraid it'd screw it up.

I may go to an upgrade to 64-bit CS4 instead of trying to migrate my 32-bit CS3, although I was kind of hoping CS5 would be on the way by now.