Here is my idea of a runaway hit for the iPad.
1) Make it multitask apps - you'll see why in a minute
2) Negotiate with College Textbook publishers for ebooks of all
textbooks - $50 a pop - way cheaper than the printed ones, but COGS
is low
3) Have a decent note taking app
4) Have a small, decent word processor
5) sell to college students instead of a laptop

I have two girls in college.  Books are outrageous in price.  The
battery life of the iPad and ebooks would work perfectly for them.
Beyond lots of web surfing/social networking, just lightweight word
processing is needed.  The appeal of the iPad would be embraced by
that group.  The price is a no brainer because I wouldn't have to buy
them a laptop and the cost of college texts would more than pay for
the device the first year.

--
Best regards,
Bruce