On Fri, Feb 5, 2010 at 4:30 AM, Anthony Farr <farranth...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Also in that context, it's totally out of line for the store to turn
> around and blame the customer for those losses, the deals didn't have
> to be offered in the first place.
>
> Then, is a customer who hops from one store to another and buys only the loss
> leader but never the upsize a bad customer?
> <snip>
> If the business model for loss-leaders > isn't working for a store, then they
> need to remedy it, not demonize
> customers who accept the offers.
>
> In essence - an unprofitable transaction is the result of the business
> practice that led up to it, not the customer who entered into it.

Anthony,

Your post reminds me of something I've experienced in airports
recently.  Yesterday evening, I walked past a gate that was getting
ready to board (this was Delta Airlines but I've heard this from
United as well)...

'We have a very full flight today and would like to make an ontime
departure.  It's important that travelers board the plane, stow their
luggage and belongings, and be seated. We ask that you stow your
larger items like roller bags in the overhead bins, leaving the space
at your feet for smaller items.  If you bring an item on board that is
too big to fit in an overhead bin, this will cause additional
congestion in the aisle and the bag will need to be carried to the
front of the plane and then stowed with the rest of the cargo.  The
number one reason for late departures is because travelers delay
departure by not handling their carryon items properly.'

WHAT???  The CUSTOMER is responsible for late departures?  Who decided
to change their policy and charge an exhorbitant fee to check luggage,
so that now 70% of the passengers bring the larger carrier on bags
into the passenger compartment?  THE AIRLINE.  It's they that have
caused the congestion and lack of space in the overhead bins, the
confusion while travelers wander back and forth searching for a place
to put their bag, blocking the aisle no where near their assigned
seat, and consequent late departures.  THOSE NAUGHTY PESKY CUSTOMERS!

So I check my bag and then put my laptop in the overhead bin, so I
have room at my feet.  What do you think happens?  The flight
attendant, frantically searches for space in the overheads, sees my
laptop, asks whose it is, and then asks me if I would mind stowing it
under the seat in front of me.  To that I say 'No, I've already
checked my large bag underneath (often having to pay to do so).  I
shouldn't have to pay to check my bag and then ALSO give up the space
around my feet.  You want me, the person that has paid to check their
luggage, now sacrifice my comfort for the sake of customers who chose
not to pay. It's the airlines policy of charging for checked luggage
that is the problem and that's why there's not enough space'.

Anyway when I walked by the gate and heard that announcement, I
stopped and told three guys waiting to board that "Did you hear that?
It's all your fault they're going to be late".  They laughed.

Tom C.