On Fri, Feb 5, 2010 at 9:14 PM, Stan Halpin <s...@stans-photography.info> wrote:

> On Feb 5, 2010, at 9:52 AM, Tom C wrote:
>
>>  I've heard this .. 'The number one reason for late departures is because
>> travelers delay
>> departure by not handling their carryon items properly.'
>>
>> WHAT???  The CUSTOMER is responsible for late departures?  Who decided
>> to change their policy and charge an exhorbitant fee to check luggage,
>> so that now 70% of the passengers bring the larger carrier on bags
>> into the passenger compartment?  THE AIRLINE.  ...

I don't doubt anything you told me Stan.  I just thought it very poor
form to pass the blame off to the customer for late departures and to
essentially tell them "it's not our fault, it's yours".  Even if that
were true, it's in very poor form to treat a customer that way.

Example - what if I bring my camera to the local camera store in
Regina, SK.  I tell them I can't get the histogram to display properly
and the camera picks it own focus point.  The tall bald man with the
mustache behind the counter brings out the manual and shows it to me
saying "See it's your fault, you sniveling low-life excuse for a
tapeworm.  Next time read the manual and go crawl back up in the
butthole you came from if you can find it".

I wouldn't like that in the same way I don't like the gate agent
trying to make me feel guilty for their crowded bins and late
departure. :-)

>> The experienced traveler is left to recall when airline travel was better
>> than riding the Greyhound bus, as he sits with his knees in his face, his
>> obese seat
>> mate's blubber spilling across the arm rest, just hoping they get it
>> together soon and get underway so that the torture will soon be over.

Isn't that the truth!

Point taken.  I used the word "airline" euphmestically, probably
because the gate agent is the face person for them at that point in
time.

Tom C.