Maybe I'm not the best person to reply to this, as I don't own a
scanner, and I've only scanned a few times, and, with the exception of
one roll, only B&W.  So, I'm a real novice, therefore take my opinion
with those caveats.

For me, the extra resolution is worth it, absolutely.  I've scanned at
2700ppi, 2900ppi, and 4000ppi.  You can't go wrong with more
information.  If I want to crop an image there's a little headroom.  If
I want an 8x10 print, it can be done reasonably well.

If you can afford it, get it.  Often, it seems, the scanners with more
ppi resolution offer other features or benefits.  One seems to be
greater dynamic range.  I guess it's like fast glass, or a 1/4000
shutter speed - you may not need them often, but it's nice to know
they're there, and when you do need 'em, you're glad you've got 'em.

I'll now go back to reading about grain aliasing.

--
Shel Belinkoff
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]