On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 3:48 PM, Ken Waller <kwal...@peoplepc.com> wrote:

> Yep. That's why in Detroit we have instances of the citizens of Windsor (you
> know the city south of Detroit)
> coming over to the states for their medical treatments, instead of waiting
> for it in Ca na da.

I didn't bother telling the list, because it was rather
inconsequential, but about a month ago, I was sitting, got up quickly,
had that "head rush" and (for the first time in my life) fainted.  As
I'd heard that every loss of consciousness requires a doctor visit, I
went to the nearest emergency ward.

Now, I have to admit, I was there a long time.  It was one of
Toronto's largest trauma centres (Sunnybrooke, for you locals) at
evening rush hour, and there were several serious automobile collision
victims that needed help more than me.  All in all, it was a 10 hour
visit, but I realize that my condition put me at the bottom of the
triage list.

However, in that ten hours I got great treatment.  Before seeing a
doctor, nurses took blood, checked blood pressure/pulse and gave me a
cardiogram.  The doctor finally saw me and said that in a way it was
good that I was there for that length of time, because he could give
me ~another~ cardiogram to make sure there was no change (out of an
abundance of caution).  There was also a specific blood test that he
wanted to see that the nurses didn't do, so I got a second session of
bloodwork.

The doctor saw me two or three times, and appeared concerned yet calming.

After it all, he said that all tests were fine, and that (as he said)
gravity just got the best of me that day.  A head rush gone too far,
nothing more.  He said that I'd done the right thing by having it
checked and apologized for the long wait (as several nurses did
earlier).

Can you imagine how much that would have all cost me had I paid for
it?  Or if my insurance paid?  Would they have authorized all those
duplicate tests?

And that was at one of Toronto's top hospitals - yes, I got to choose
the hospital I went to, no insurance company to give me a list of
"approved" hospitals.

So, I'll take the wait to get top treatment with nothing
out-of-pocket, thank you very much.

BTW, Ken, there are many anecdotal stories (as yours was) of Detroit
citizens crossing the border into Canada to try to get treatment here,
as they have no coverage in the US.  "Borrow" a Canadian's card and
hope you don't get caught and charged with fraud - that's how
desperate some uninsured Americans are.

And, to top it off (on a personal note), my heartbeat came in a 57
bpm.  Not quite Lance's resting heartbeat of 32, but pretty good for
an old guy...

;-)

cheers,
frank