On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 7:34 PM, Ken Waller <kwal...@peoplepc.com> wrote:
> Glad to hear it was only a case of gravity !
>
> The waits I'm hearing about with Canadian medicine are mostly about elective
> surgery - knees, hips and things like that.\
>
> BTW, as I sit here typing away, my pulse is 59 bpm.

59 is impressively low.

You're right about the waits for elective surgery.  They've been
unreasonably long for some time now.  I believe that they're getting
better, but there's certainly more work that needs to be done.

About 10 years ago we had a shortage of MRI technicians (not the
machines, just the techs) so there was a waiting list for those as
well.  We Ontarians were sending cancer patients down to Buffalo on
the Canadian taxpayers dime.  In time we got our waiting time down to
something more reasonable.

I think that many even here in Canada are frustrated that they can't
get faster service if they pay for it (like you can in the US).  That
would, in the minds of many (including me!) undermine the idea of
universality that's now the bedrock of our system.  If one can pay to
get to the front of the line, then someone with less money will have
to wait longer.  Some may think this is fair, some (like me) don't.

That being said, I've never been in the situation of needing surgery
and having to wait.  I'm honest enough to admit that my tune might
change some if I could afford hip-replacement surgery but had to wait
months or years to get my surgery.

cheers,
frank