TWAIN isn't supported by CS4 on Intel Macs. The plug-in is on the disk but
isn't installed in the default install. In my case it didn't work even after I
had manually put it in the appropriate folder. Apparently if you run CS4 in
Rosetta mode it should work, but as that slows PS down I see no reason to
cripple PS just for one old scanner.

So, CS4 on Mac = no TWAIN for you.

Same deal for my LS8000, I have to use Nikon Scan 4 rather than scanning from
within PS.

Paul