Good insights there, Tanya.

Maybe the biggest differences between British and American (and
Aussie, Kiwi, etc) is the pronunciation of certain words. When I first
arrived in the US (with my British accent) waitresses couldn't
understand when I ordered water. 9 years later...and they still can't.
It seems woh-ter (closed "o") is sooooooo far removed from wah-rer
(open "a") as to be a completely different word, even when placed
within the context of the answer to the question "what would you like
to drink?". Nowadays my wife translates for me when we order at
restaurants.

Another interesting point worth mentioning is that in the UK
**everyone** understands American slang and pronunciation, while here
in the US only 1% of people understand us Brits. Whenever I come
across someone who understands everything I say, I always ask them if
they're big fans of Monty Python, at which point their faces light up
and they proceed to re-enact the Blue Norwegian sketch. Or sing the
Lumberjack Song.

I was once at a petrol station (why would you call it "gas" if it's
liquid!?!?!?) in Tennessee where the manager, a lady in her 50's,
started chatting me up (I was in my mid-20's) because she "loved my
Australian accent". When I told her that, actually, my accent was from
London, she asked me what part of Australia that was in.

So Tanya, what part of Australia are *you* from?  :-)

 --M.

--

    http://EnticingTheLight.com
    A Quest for Photographic Enlightenment