On Mar 13, 2010, at 17:05, Tanya Love wrote:

> Hehe, weeeell, I live in Brisvegas  aka Brisbane...
>
> The "gas" thing never made sense to me either?  To me "gas" usually has LPG
> written in front of it! ;-)  We too call them petrol stations, or fuel
> stations or service stations, cause they are places that we go to to "fuel
> up".

Thanks to WikiAnswers:

"Petroleum gas oil was one of the early "generic" names given to automotive
engine fuels by scientists. As always, everyday use meant that it quickly got
shortened: in Europe the Brits and Irish adopted the petroleum part of
"petroleum gas oil", which naturally got shortened to just petrol. In Canada
and the US they adopted the gas oil part, initially naming the fuel gasoline,
which naturally got shortened to just gas."

You're all quite welcome.  I'll be here all week!  Try the veal.

 -Charles

--
Charles Robinson - charl...@visi.com
Minneapolis, MN