On Mar 23, 2010, at 8:04 AM, William Robb wrote:

----- Original Message ----- From: "Brian Walters"
Subject: Re: question for the brits American to English translation

Well I understand their pain when it comes to the steak.

I've stopped ordering steak when I go to a restaurant. I'm a philistine
who like steak well done (ie. not a pink morsel anywhere).  I think
that's a task beyond the ability of most chefs.

Any chef worth of the title would consider that a lack of taste on the part of the diner.

I agree. But a steak can be cooked close to well done without turning it to shoe leather if it's butterflied or cut very thin initially. Until I managed to educate my wife's palate I had to butterfly filets for her. Cuts from the tenderloin are particularly bad well done, because they are quite lean. But an inch-thick filet, butterflied and opened so it's half an inch thick, can be grilled to where the pink is pretty much eliminated in four or five minutes.
Paul

William Robb