On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 12:49:28PM -0400, m...@robertstech.com wrote:
> John Francis <jo...@panix.com> wrote:
>
> >On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 09:51:46AM -0600, Tom C wrote:
> >> I just got a Motorola Droid yesterday.
> >>
> >> Anybody know why it occasionally verbalizes 'Drooooiiiiid' like a
> >> Cylon.  I know it'll do this when I plug/unplug USB, but twice this
> >> morning it's said it with no action on my part. An indication of
> >> receiving an online update maybe?
> >
> >That's the general "Notification" noise - it will do that if there
> >is something like a new text message, voice mail, etc.
>
> And you can change the noise to something less obtrusive if you like.
> (Or, I suppose, more obtrusive if that's your thing...)

That's one of the nice things about smartphones - all the noises are
just sound files (.mp3, .wav, etc.), so it's easy to customise (and
you don't have to fork out 99c every time you change your ringtone).

My wife has made her Droid even more Cylon-like; the ringtone is a
sound bite taked from the original "Battlestar Galactica" TV series;
one of the Cylons saying "By Your Command"
(I suspect that falls into the "More Intrusive" category :-)

I'm still using a small clip from Jeff Wayne's "War of the Worlds".