At some level, this is true but the Mac OS X Finder application reads
and displays the contents of the file for you in this instance. Steve
has not explicitly called a file system function to open the file. The
Finder keeps aware of where you are as you move around in the file
system and pre-loads file previews and content through the operating
system's background utilities (Spotlight and other content
indexing/browsing routines). The Finder uses these same means to
provide the "cover flow" previews in that are a built-in part of its
Mac OS X "Leopard" implementation.

--
Godfrey
  godfreydigiorgi.posterous.com